Technical notes about the PSU WRF/EnKF Real-time Hurricane Prediction System (pdf)
- The forecast system is based on WRF ARW V3.4.1 and the Penn State (PSU) EnKF with 60 ensemble members for data assimilation.
- There are three triply nested WRF forecast domains with grid spacing of 27/9/3 km.
- The system is initialized before the storm developed, and cycling the assimiltion with all conventional observations, Recon and TDR data every 3 hours till the end of the storm.
- APSU: PSU 3-km deterministic forecast with EnKF data assimilation
- GFS: NCEP Global Forecast System
- The APSU figures are plotted by combined all 3 domains, the square denotes the 3-km domain position.